Monday, July 25, 2011

Homelessness

Recently I took a photo of a person who seems to be homeless in the center of downtown - which downtown you ask?  I say, "does it matter"?  My photo basically resembles many downtown areas, as homelessness is not specific to one locale or to one group.  Next time you are out and about, remember, it could be you or someone you love.   So be kind.  Homelessness is not always a choice, some times merely a matter of circumstance.   

My need to call attention to homelessness comes from within my own trials and tribulations.  I have lived on the streets by choice during my youth, out of stubborn rebellion.  Eventually I matured and grew into adulthood, began a family and moved to suburbia to raise my family.  We did well.  Then the economy imploded - we were just one of many victims!  Suddenly we were faced with the possibility of homelessness.

We could have been another statistic.  Crap happens and we need to remember that.  Although my photo is not me or you, it very well could be.  Maybe you avoid the homeless because you are uncomfortable, don't know what to do or say.  And all I can say to that is, 'just be human'.  Say good day.  Share a conversation about the weather, whatever.  Despite how trivial the conversation may seem to you, to a homeless person, it could be the highlight of his/her day.  






Life paths are relative to the individual. One's path should not be judged without wearing the "soul" of another. - A. Rodriguez


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story! You provided a lot of food for thought!

    ReplyDelete